Training Resource – Introducing Effective Delegation #9
Continuing from where we stopped with the session previously, the particpants did an activity to help Danielle choose the right team member to delegate to. We will continue that activity to identify who Danielle actuall chose.
WHO SHOULD YOU DELEGATE TO
When the time is up, stop them and bring everyone back to the main room. Ask each group’s spokesperson to share their screen and talk about which team leader they chose to do the task and why. Listen to each group, one after the other and then tell them that:
- Thank you very much for doing this.
- Let me now reveal to you who Danielle chose.
- She chose not one team leader but two of them.
- Can you guess the two she chose? Write down the two people you think she chose in the chat window.
Allow them to write down who they think the two team leaders are for about 1-minute and read through what they are writing. After 1-minute you can review what they wrote down by reading out their answers.
Then tell them that:
- Danielle chose Amal and Denzel.
And ask them:
- Why do you think she chose those two team leaders?
Allow them to answer verbally, so they can either raise up their hand or use a virtual hand to indicate they want to answer. Make allowance for up to half of the delegates (if you don’t have more than 12 delegates) to answer if they want to. Afterwards, thank them for their answers and then display the slide titled – WHY DANIELLE CHOSE AMAL AND DENZEL.
When the slide displays, it will be blank with just a title. Click on the slide once to display some information and let them read it for 10-seconds.
Click on the slide again and let them read it for another 10-seconds. Click on the slide for a final time and let them read it for 10-seconds.
Also, tell them that:
- Though Denzel is busy, he is an experienced manager who is good at managing his time and Amal may learn some other things from him in the process.
- Now that we know who Danielle is going to delegate the task to, let’s move onto the second stage which is the actual process of delegation.
In the next part of the session the participants will be involved in practice sessions to apply some of what they have discussed about delegation.